Thursday, September 3, 2009

Campbell's Chunky Beef & Dumplings with Hearty Vegetables



Once again, my thanks to the good folks at Campbell's for giving me the chance to review another of their new soups.

My tummy has been on hiatus most of this week (due to non-review related eating) and even though it's not exactly soup weather here in Southern California -- I would call it balmy, but somehow that doesn't convey the 100+ temperatures and the nasty, muggy, skin-sticking-to-things-it-shouldn't-stick-to levels of humidity -- I really wanted to work my way back into eating with a good bowl of soup.



The Chunky Beef & Dumplings is a thick, beef based soup. The base itself is like really good vegetable beef soup. You can taste (and see!) the onions, carrots and celery. There is a big assortment of veggies such as the aforementioned, plus potatoes, tomatoes and my personal favorite: GREEN PEAS! I know this is foodie heresy, but I LOVE canned peas, and anything that includes them moves up a notch in my book.



The dumplings are large, but they are just kind of generically starchy. If I hadn't known they were dumplings, I would have thought they were overcooked potatoes. It's not that they are bad, they are just kind of...well, just kind of there.

As for the beef: there is no mistaking that the soup is heavily beef infused. The meat pieces are large enough that they remind me more of what you'd see in a stew, rather than what you would expect from a canned soup. The meat is tender and there is a lot of it.

I really liked the basics of the soup. The consistency was great, again more like a stew than a soup. And there were lots of veggies, which is always a good thing!



PURCHASED FROM:
Sample From Company

No comments: